Tax-supported library service became available to Grant County residents when the first public library opened for business in 1954. In 1967 the library moved to the Old County Records Building, where it remained for more than 35 years before moving to its new facility on Barnes Road. In 1976 voters established a library levy. Today that levy funds ninety-percent of the library’s operating budget.
The library’s 12,500 square foot building opened in April 2003, designed by Lexington firm Sherman Carter Barnhart Architects. Exposed trusses, 27-foot ceiling, and window walls create a dramatic interior. Originally built on 4.5 acres of land that was donated by Lee B. Lanter and his wife, approximately a half acre was acquisitioned for the improvement of Barnes Road. There is ample parking and an outside book return. Other outside features include a fish pond and a covered bridge over the ‘dry pond.’
The library currently houses approximately 50,000 items and has a variety of materials including books and e-books, DVDs, CDs, Playaways, audio books, magazines, downloadable materials available for checkout. The library provides programs for children, teens, and adults and also partners with many county and regional organizations to meet the service needs of Grant County residents.